Todays post is a bit of a quick history lesson on the Akaroa lighthouse which used to be located on the eastern head of Akaroa Harbor. The lens was manufactured in France and the mechanism was manufactured in Scotland. The tower is a six-sided Victorian structure with four levels and is 12.5 metres high and 5.49 metres wide at the base. The light was first lit on 1 January 1880 and stood 270 feet above sea level. The light was visible for 23 miles. Closed in 1977 then dismantled into three peices and re-assembled on its presant site, restoration was completed on 4 October 1980, one hundred years after it was first lit.
Copyright © 2014 Black Cat Cruises | Website design and development by E2 DIGITAL